Wednesday, December 9, 2009

It's Smaller Than a Bread Box







Happy chilly Wednesday. In some areas It's way colder than it is here…but I am freezing this morning. It's 48ºf here and to me…that's too cold. So…this morning I thought I would share a project using sunny warm colors.

Last year about this time I had been searching blogs and tutorials for better ways to store my cards for gifts and just for me. I found a few that I liked…but they took too much time and too much paper. I wanted to use this in a class I was teaching so I had to make it fast and easy. After a bit of math (my mom always told me those math classes would come in handy some day) I came up with this fun and cute card holder.

What you'll need:
· 12" x 12" cardstock or decorative paper
· Scor-pal or scoring tool.
· Very tacky tape (red line, scor-tape) or glue
· Embellishments (a great way to use up your scraps)



1. Score your cardstock at 3" & 6" as shown
2. Turn your paper a quarter turn and score again at 3" & 9" as shown
3. Fold all of your score lines. Always fold away from your score mark. When you score, the fibers of your paper are broken up to fold that way.
4. Cut into your 3" & 9" margins to the first intersection on the 3" & 6" lines. Do this on both sides.
5. Trim diagonally as shown. This is the top of your box.
6. Add your adhesive to the outside of the middle flaps and the inside of the bottom flaps as shown.
7. Fold the top diagonally cut flap over the outside of the middle flap on each side of your box.
8. Fold the bottom flap over the top and middle flap on both sides to form the bottom of your box.







To make your box sturdier, add a little extra cardstock around the inside of your box. This gives it a finished decorative look but also sturdies it up a bit. For this project I used Cosmo Cricket paper and stamps from The Rubber Café. The finished project is 6" wide and fits most cards. It also fits nicely on your shelf and takes up less room than a bread box. I hope you've enjoyed this tutorial. Comments are welcome.

3 comments:

  1. Wowza, this is fantastic hun! Brilliant design, so beautifully done!
    blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, I wanted to tell you how much I like your roller skating photo!
    My hubby & I met rollerskating, every waking hour seemed to be spent skating! What wonderful memories!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is SO SO stinkin' CUTE!!! Absolutely love it!

    ReplyDelete